How is Bulk Wine Transported?
by Perth Truck Company – Vintage Road Haulage
Overview of the 3 most common ways to transport wine in bulk…
Transporting wine in bulk quantities poses many challenges within the wine making industry, all of which can affect the end result the consumer receives. The challenges include:
- Maintaining a consistent suitable temperature for the wine
- Spoilage due to oxidation, contamination, re-fermentation or tainting of the wine
- Preventing breakage of wine bottles (if choosing that method of delivery)
- High costs depending on how the wine is transported
There are three main ways of transporting bulk wine within Australia; ISO Tanks, Flexitanks and Bottles. Each have their own advantages and disadvantages and it is up to individual wine producers to choose the most suitable method for their products. An experienced transport company will also provide the knowledge needed to help make the best decision.
An ISO Tank is a tank container which is built to the ISO standard (International Organisation for Standardisation). The tank is made of stainless steel and is surrounded by various protective skin layers, which in this case would be a skin suitable for transporting wine.
Advantages of using an ISO Tank for bulk wine transport include:
- Safer and more reliable than a Flexitank
- Tanks can be reused multiple times
- Can carry up to 26,000 litres of wine and be temperature controlled
- Environmentally friendly transporting option
- Large ISO tanks may not be allowed on some smaller roads due to weight restrictions
- Tainting or oxidation may occur if ISO Tank is not cleaned or sealed correctly. All Vintage Road Haulage ISO Tanks are professionally cleaned and certified with a Cleaning Certificate.
ISO Tanks are Vintage Road Haulage’s preferred method for transporting wine in bulk. Learn more about ISO Tanks (will open in a new window).
A Flexitank is a large one-way bag which fits inside a standard 20’ shipping container. Flexitanks come in a range of sizes and are made of different materials depending on the manufacturer.
Advantages of using Flexitanks for bulk wine transport include:
- Differing bag sizes, although using a 24,000 litre Flexitank is most economical
- Minimise oxidation and tainting if using a disposable one-use-only Flexitank
- Reduced costs per litre shipped
- Can carry more than double the amount of pre-packaged wine
- Inability to maintain or control temperature of the wine
- Risk of contamination, tainting or oxidation of the wine
Transporting wine ready packaged in glass bottles also presents advantages and disadvantages to wine producers.
Advantages of using bottles for bulk wine transport include:
- Wine is ready to sell immediately upon arrival
- Convenient way of transport for both producer and buyer
- Sealed bottles prevent tainting of wine
- High risk of breakage
- High cost of transport and requires extra packaging materials
- Inability to control temperature to prevent spoilage due to oxidation
- High energy use and CO2 emissions
West Australian Bulk Wine Transport Specialists
Vintage Road Haulage
We have been entrusted to transport precious bulk wine shipments all over WA since 1994. Please call (08) 9410 1726 or contact us via the form on the right.